A tantrum is an emotional outburst of ill humor or a fit of bad temper wherein the 'higher' cognitive functions are unable to stop the emotional expression of the putative 'lower' (emotional and physical) functions. -- Wikipedia
It also adds that it is characterized by angry ranting, screaming, defiance, and resistance to pacification. That is definitely me. I don't necessarily cry and scream, but angry ranting and resistance to pacification is great.
You thought this was about Abby, didn't you?
I threw a version of my temper tantrum tonight. Crazy high emotions that take over the rational side of my brain yelling at me to stop. I've had a temper ever since I can remember. From the time I five-starred Seth's toddler back to my DAILY after school shout matches with my mom to even now with Jesse. I don't punch or five-star anymore, but I definitely have an acidic attitude, emotion, and sarcasm that create searing emotional pain. I never realized how bad or inappropriate it was until I married Jesse and he met the real me during our first year. Poor boy. If I were to get in a fight with my siblings now, I'd definitely lose. Thanks to my husband, I've lost a lot of my fight. Really, I do thank him. But that temper is still there and waits to pounce. Like tonight.
So no, I won't tell you what the tantrum was about. It's my first for the year and I hope it's my last. New Year's Resolution: no more temper and DEFINITELY no more "tantrums"....
When I'm 80, you can ask me how this resolution fared.
3 comments:
Oh dear Lauren. How I love you.
Lauren, you're so funny. I have to admit I did think this post was about Abby... :)
Good luck with that resolution!
Have to say that I still don't think of you with a crazy temper...you are my social, bubbly, jubilant, life loving, beautiful LaLa. If asked to describe you, it would never include a quick temper.
Post a Comment