I did it. I committed one of the cardinal sins of mom-hood.
I yelled at somebody's kids at the playground.
I yelled at somebody's kids at the playground.
And really, all I want to do is justify it to make myself feel better, but what's the point? I overreacted and yelled at someone's kid. I never thought in a million years I'd be the one to do that, but I did. I had maxed out on patience with Abby today for several reasons and in effort to take a break Jesse and I took Abby to the Carl's Jr. play place. There was one group there of three moms and four kids, and those kids were OUT OF CONTROL. In a relatively small enclosed room, with several kids screaming like banshees, it seemed all too easy to get impatient. But so far I had done okay. But then I heard Abby at the top of the playground crying, "I'm scared! I'm scared!" So I immediately walked over to where I could see her to try to find out the problem. She wanted to go down the slide, but ALL four of the kids were standing at the bottom SCREAMING up the slide so she was scared to come down. Before my rational side could take over, I ran to the slide and forcefully yelled at the kids to stop screaming because they were scaring my daughter from coming down the slide. Every person in Carl's Jr. stopped to look at me. And I could feel the eyes of those moms glaring at me too. But really? When your children are traumatizing other children from enjoying the facility and screaming so loudly that nobody can think or talk to each other, wouldn't you say something to them?
At the time I didn't care. But as the night has continued, I feel like crawling in a hole. Somehow writing about it makes me feel like not such a bad person. Everybody makes mistakes, right? I just haven't figured out how to learn from others' mistakes. I have to be the obnoxious nazi playground mom.
It'd be nice if they could have looked at me and said, "Oh, she's pregnant and looks tired and exasperated. She probably has a lot on her mind." But by the way they looked at me after... I'm going to say not.
So if it was your kids I yelled at, I'm sorry. I really am. It was inappropriate and since I've done it once, I hope that means I'll never do it again.
At the time I didn't care. But as the night has continued, I feel like crawling in a hole. Somehow writing about it makes me feel like not such a bad person. Everybody makes mistakes, right? I just haven't figured out how to learn from others' mistakes. I have to be the obnoxious nazi playground mom.
It'd be nice if they could have looked at me and said, "Oh, she's pregnant and looks tired and exasperated. She probably has a lot on her mind." But by the way they looked at me after... I'm going to say not.
So if it was your kids I yelled at, I'm sorry. I really am. It was inappropriate and since I've done it once, I hope that means I'll never do it again.
14 comments:
Hey deary! Sorry I missed you earlier, and sorry it has been such a rough day. That is no fun, though I think everyone has a moment like that at some point. Loves!
Oh hon. It's ok. Everyone snaps sometimes. I did it at work last week. I hope you have a nice relaxing evening. Luv ya tonz!
I'm THAT driver...
I honk at people and motion at them through the window, and I make sure that they see just for coming into my lane without a turn signal... so I wouldn't worry about it too much
Oh, and I was once THAT teacher. When I was student teaching, one Friday the week had been too long, I was completely exhausted, and the students were just a little too hyper. In the middle of giving instructions I cracked and yelled at the whole class to just SHUT UP! I felt totally guilty, and about 20 minutes later had to go through the embarrassing ordeal of apologizing and getting back in their good graces.
I love it Lauren! I would have done the same thing, but not felt guilty at all. It is so annoying when you go to those playgrounds and people let their kids climb up the slides, scream, push other kids, etc and do NOTHING about it! So I don't think you should loose any sleep over it.
Laur I don't even have kids and I yell at other peoples kids all the time. In fact, I get paid to do it! :) Too bad it happens outside of my job as well. Crap.
Quit feeling bad and remind yourself that those screaming banshees are unfortunate enough to not have as great of a mother as Abby has, and the glaring moms are just jealous of your with-it-ness.
Sometimes I like being THAT mom. One time a little boy knocked Lily off of a ladder at a playground because he was in too much of a hurry. You better believe I went Nazi-Mom on him and he deserved it too :) I don't believe in doing it all of the time, but if other mothers are bringing their kids to a playground so that they can avoid the responsibility of taking care of them (and disciplining them), your kid shouldn't have to be the one to pay for it.
Laur, you're an awesome mom. Have to tell you that the instinct to protect your little girl will never go away. The situations when you feel it rising will just get trickier to handle gracefully. I love you.
I was about to post "My sister can beat up your sister's kid" on FB, then realized it might be a little insensitive.
But, man oh man, I wish I could have been there. (I'll settle for Abby's first date. Or the first time she breaks curfew. So many more opportunities for you to go all Mom on people.)
I heart you. And I know Abby wasn't scared anymore when you took down that little screamer.
Love it Lauren. I feel you're totally justified. Some people's kids just have zero respect for others. And often it's a learned trait. So next time, yell at the mothers for not teaching their kids manners!
I would have been frustrated, too. Don't feel bad. We all definitely have our moments and I am NO exception! :)
I think you're a great mom and Abby is one lucky girl!
Whoa, whoa, whoa...I do this all the time and am I supposed to be feeling guilty? If those other mom's had any sense, they would have those tormenting kids under control. I really see no problem in correcting other people's children WHEN the situation allows for it. Maybe I'm "that" mom, but I make no apologies, people need to step up and be more attentive and parent their children. Fhew...sorry for the rant. I think you were TOTALLY justified and shouldn't feel sorry about it for another second!
ps-this is Stacey, not Owen :)
Good thing TCIT . . . .
Post a Comment