I will admit that I have been shocked by several of my friends' responses to the world these days. Many believe that the church is "old-fashioned" or not "open-minded" enough. They are angry with statements made by general authorities or they feel like somehow the church is wrong. There are so many voices telling us what to believe, what to think, what to feel. Some of the hardest trials for me have been understanding my role as a mother. For years I harbored the attitude of the world that women in the church were relatively "oppressed," and we should be able to have careers if we want. Or to not have families if we want. But this was an attitude I learned from the world, not from the gospel. And it was only when I recognized the truth that I felt peace. Now there are other ideals coming out more strongly--you know what I mean--that threaten the church. But I guess they don't really threaten the church. Just the members and their testimonies. The church will always move forward, but some of its members may not.
I've been reading Alma in the Book of Mormon this week. It seems to me that almost every major battle between the Lamanites and the Nephites is started by Nephite dissenters. The dissenters get bitter with the church, for whatever reason, and stir up the Lamanites against the Nephites. Doesn't that seem how it is today? So many people get angry and leave the church. And somehow they believe that they can destroy the church if they get the world involved to beat us down. It's rather comical to me how unoriginal that idea is. Heavens, it was going on years before Christ. Why would it work now?
I found this video on Mormon Messages. I've watched it many times, but today it felt even more pertinent. What voices are we listening to? It's sad how difficult it is to block out the voices of the world. But it's so so important that we understand the truth of the gospel and the voice of the Spirit vs. the ugly lies that Satan has made so popular in the world today.
10 comments:
I've felt the same way recently. So much so, that I've felt a need to block some people's news feeds on Facebook, because that's all I seem to see. A man once said to Joseph Smith that if he (the man) decided to leave the Church at some point, he would not fight against the Church like so many others - he would move somewhere far away and never speak of the Mormons again. Joseph told him no - if he fell away, he would fight against the Church just as vehemently as the others had. I think we as a Church have been sheltered for a long time. I think we'll begin to see more and more people fall away, and begin attacking the Church and its leadership. Things will get worse before they get better.
well said, lauren.. well said! unoriginal indeed.
Amen, hallelujah.
Lauren, I loved reading this. Mostly because it's just so nice to hear someone else saying the things I've been thinking. My favorite part was the first sentence. You put that so well... That people are thinking that the church is 'old fashioned' or we aren't 'open minded' and that the prophet might be wrong. The funny thing is... It's not the prophet and apostles leading the church so much as it is God himself. And there is no way that God is old fashioned or closed minded. hehe
Anyway, you are awesome Lauren! So glad you guys are our friends :)
Love ya
Amber
I'm so thankful that your testimony of the gospel is so strong...I am certain we will all have to stand on our own light through the deluge that is coming at us. And you will have to be strong enough and clear enough that Abby and Claire will understand and know for themselves. It doesn't matter what the world's opinions are..."whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants it is the same."
Thank you for being willing to share your light and goodness. I love you.
Thanks Laur. Just think, if we can stand up to the members getting weird, we'll be fine dealing with the world. I just spent another several days dealing with those who feel the Church discriminates and oppresses certain minorities. All we can do is keep our heads up and remember who we are. You will do well with the strength you show here. Love you.
Amen sister, thank you for sharing your thoughts. And I agree, it is going to just get worse, sad. I don't want to even think about how bad things will be when our girls are in our place.
You put into words exactly how I've been feeling lately as well. I live by the saying, "When the prophet speaks, the debate is over" I raise my hand to sustain my church leaders, and that means that I follow what they say and don't say, "Well, they are wrong about this..." I'm glad we are on the same page!
p.s. your dad is helping us out with our second adoption! You have such a great dad! It is comforting to know that our little family is in good hands!
Thanks Lauren! Just what I needed to hear which I've been getting from your blog a lot recently :) Love you!
Post a Comment