Thursday, October 21, 2010

Another one.

I'm sorry, and I'm not sorry, for what this blog has turned into the last couple weeks. But I typically read my scriptures, conference talks, etc. right after the girls go down... and then my mind swirls with thoughts that I have to get out. And typing into a blog is a million times faster than writing it in my journal. And then I can easily print it and paste it in there.

So my thought for today?

I've been thinking a lot about what's going on in the world today and how so many people are making ridiculous decisions. I came across this scripture in Helaman 7:16:

"Yea, how could you have given way to the enticing of him who is seeking to hurl away your souls down to everlasting misery and endless wo?"

Can you just imagine him saying that? How could you? Especially when you know the results of following Satan. How could you?

At the time, Nephi, son of the Helaman, has just returned from trying to preach the gospel in the super wicked north. The people rejected him, so he came home. But home was just as wicked. In just a few short years from the time Moroni and his righteous armies defended the Nephites, the Gadianton robbers have swooped in and corrupted the whole nation. It was wicked everywhere (except for the Lamanites. Such an interesting twist). So you can imagine Nephi's sorrow when he exclaims these words "in the agony of his soul" atop a tower:

"Oh, that I could have had my days in the days when my father Nephi first came out of the land of Jerusalem, that I could have joyed with him in the promised land....
"Yea, if my days could have been in those days, then would my soul have had joy in the righteousness of my brethren.
"But behold, I am consigned that these are my days, and that my soul shall be filled with sorrow because of this the wickedness of my brethren."

There are so many days when I think, I wish that these weren't my days. I'm petrified of the things my girls will face. And then I'm filled with sorrow. Each day it seems that the world is getting more and more wicked. The church members are faced with more decisions. We can no longer be fence-sitters. We need to decide if we're going to join ourselves with Jesus Christ and his gospel, or to unite with the world and Satan, the author of lies. I know it's easier said than done. I know it seems difficult to be the different ones. But then it seems it's always been difficult. The Nephites were slaughtered for their righteousness. The pioneers were "exterminated" and driven west. And, thank goodness for our laws, we only have church buildings in Everett, WA, burned to the ground right now, otherwise who knows what would be happening. But whatever days we're in, we have to be strong. And we have to remember, remember our God who has delivered us time and time again.

I think of the many people I love, who grew up in the church, but have since then left it and are now fighting it. I think of Nephi when he says, "How could you have given way to the enticing of him who is seeking to hurl away your souls down to everlasting misery and endless wo?" When there is a God with all glory and power, who loves us and will do anything to help us, why would someone choose to follow Satan, who has stirred up the hearts of so many to wickedness?

It's so black and white to me. And I guess reading Nephi's words has just made me resolve even more to stand strong and to remember my God, even and especially when it's "unpopular" or "close-minded" or "not with the times."

So that is my thought.

3 comments:

Maryn said...

I like your thought. And I like that you find everything to be black and white, because I feel that way too.

Yet again, AMEN, HALLELUJAH!

Davis Valley Classic said...

loved reading this

Lekili said...

You are headed into a pretty liberal area of the country where your views may be challenged and tested even more than they are now. I'm proud of you for taking a stand and grateful for your strength. I'm pretty certain they will be put to the test.