
As much as I ranted against Galya for her incessant quacking and for creating a poop-infested yard, she really was an good duck.
I remember when Stephen first brought her to show me with Ashton. He showed up with a brown paper lunch sack and excitedly told me to come check it out. When I first saw the bag, my thought was, "Oh, he's found some Ukrainian pastry. How exciting!" But I don't think I've ever been more surprised than when I looked in expecting a frosting-covered carb and discovered a tall, brown duckling stretching to get out of that bag.
When we lived upstairs, Abby used to love watching for Galya out the sliding glass door. Abby would sit for minutes (which is a long time for babies) at the window and watch Galya walk back and forth. Abby's first word was "duck."
This summer was exciting when Stephen and Ashton discovered that Galya was laying eggs! I guess it makes sense, but I had just never thought of it and we hadn't seen any. But Stephen discovered several nests throughout the yard and Abby soon began the game of hunting and then counting the eggs.
Since we moved to the basement recently, it's been funny to watch Galya through our little windows. She loved to sit in the windowsills and watch us. When we moved to a different room, she would follow us to find the accompanying windowsill. Come to think of it, she's actually been really quiet the last few months.
It will be weird not to have our watchduck anymore. She's almost a comfort now when I come home to have her nestled somewhere nearby in the bushes. Ashton and Stephen found her poor body on the front porch this morning. They think a local black lab killed it in the night. We're burying her tonight
Good-bye Galya. You will be missed.
3 comments:
That is so sad! Lainey loved that duck too (although I didn't know her name was Gayla). I'm so sorry to hear about this!
And I didn't realize you guys had moved into the basement...is that a temporary thing? And Stephen and Ashton are upstairs now?
Poor Galya. She was so fun to watch.
Its awful the way they found her. Those are images that don't go away quickly. Especially when Galya was so loved. Hope the funeral was nice.
Post a Comment