Friday, May 22, 2009

Time Magazine

It was after eleven at night when I picked up the new May 2009 issue of Time Magazine off of my parent's table. I was interested in a article called "The Unseen Struggle of Autistic Adults". I'm interested in these articles after I studied social work at BYU. I continued to flip through the magazine and become increasingly more disturbed by the content of the articles. Most of them were about America's changing workforce and described a very gloomy outlook for the possible job opportunities available to the Gen Y group. I'm sure many of you can sympathize with that. Then I got to the worst article: the new and quickly growing demographic group in our country known as the CUs, or committed unmarrieds. I was shocked to read how being married is literally becoming "uncool" and out-of-style. Apparently, the only reason to get married is for insurance benefits. Many CU partners stated that the reason they didn't want to get married was so that they still have a feeling of freedom and that they wouldn't have any legal hassles should one decide to leave the relationship. Repeatedly I read the questions regarding marriage, What's the point? Why do I need to have a governmental stamp approving my relationship? How will it make me a better parent just to be married to my partner? I was surprised by my changing thoughts towards doubting marriage as I continued to read the article... I was literally beginning to ponder the same questions. I shook my head to scatter those thoughts and remembered my solid stance: "Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity" .... the "family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children" and in order to have a family, we need to be married. Marriage is ordained of God (The Family: A Proclamation To The World).
It also reads in the The Family: A Proclamation To The World: "We declare that God’s commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife."

It's a commandment. That's why we marry. (That and I LOVE being with my husband)

The family is truly being attacked. The family is becoming "uncool". I am just beginning to see what kind of strength it's going to take to keep my family together. My strength comes my from my knowledge that Jesus Christ is coming again soon. He IS coming and we absolutely can not forget that.
This makes me think of D&C 30 with the revelation to David Whitmer:
1 Behold, I say unto you, David, that you have afeared man and have not brelied on me for strength as you ought.
2 But your mind has been on the things of the aearth more than on the things of me, your Maker, and the ministry whereunto you have been called; and you have not given heed unto my bSpirit, and to those who were set over you, but have been persuaded by those whom I have not commanded.

You know what I mean, right? We can't fear man, even though many of our doctrinal principles and commandments are becoming "uncool". We have to stick with what we know is right regardless of how "uncool" we may seem.
Anyway, this was my midnight ramble. As a result, this post is unpolished and unfinished. But I hope you all feel as strongly as I do about the family and will help me fight to protect it until Christ comes again. And even then I'm sure we'll always be standing up for the family.

5 comments:

Davis Valley Classic said...

Whatever, being married is still totally COOL! Haha! I know what you mean, it does seem like everywhere you look, especially in the media, they don't think marriage is important. I loved reading your powerful testimony on the importance of the family, I most definately agree!

Jared said...

Love what you said. Thanks for reminding us--and the world--about the MOST important institution in life and the world to come. And thanks for your testimony, one of the few other things we get to take with us after this life.

It was good to see you last night--as we celebrated two more increidble adults committing eternally to that path and beginning eternal, wedded bliss. p.s. Did you know Kevin and I were roommates at BYU-I?

Stacey said...

Thanks Lauren, right on! It scares me to think of the kind of world we will have to raise our children in. We just have to be that much stronger.

Meg said...

Awesome post. It was really good to see you and your cute fam. We need to hang out more so Abby, Luke, Kaitlin & Emery can be best buds and not act shy around each other next time!

"In the way . . ." said...

Go Laur . . . .!