Sunday, April 12, 2009

The crib dilemma

It's almost 10:00 p.m. and Abigail is still awake. It's frustrating in so many ways, but tonight I'm particularly frustrated because it's the first night since the semester started that Jesse has had time to hang out with me and we're spending it trying to get Abigail to go to sleep. We had exciting plans to cuddle up on the couch watching some poorly made film while eating ice cream. Typically, I would leave Abby to cry herself to sleep. But on Saturday afternoon, Abigail discovered how to climb out of her crib. I put Abby down for her nap (after a long drive home from St. George in which she didn't sleep). She started crying and then suddenly stopped. I heard movement coming from her room and then she was knocking on her door. I opened her bedroom door and gasped as I saw her standing there outside of her crib. Now she does it every time I put her in the crib. Tonight we finally laid down in her tent to go to sleep and after fifteen minutes of that she had her dad rock her to sleep. So to the point of this email: I need to buy a crib tent to keep her contained, but I can't afford it. It's $60! I tried to get one on ebay, but I keep getting outbid and eventually the bid+shipping just costs the same as to buy a new one. So I'm shamefully pleading for crib tent donations, or ideas of how to help her stay in the crib. This is truly lame of me, but I'm at a loss as to what to do with her.

P.S. Easter pics to come.

8 comments:

"In the way . . ." said...

Just like her mother . . . . At least you haven't heard the "wup, wamp, pomp" in the middle of the night as she hits the floor, like her mother would do to get out of her crib . . . .

Maryn said...

I will buy one for you! Let's have a fundraiser and call it "Fundraiser for the Poor College Students Who Cannot Afford a Better Choice of Crib"

Amy said...

Lily learned to climb out of her crib too, so we bought her a big girl bed thinking "at least this way she won't hurt herself". The funny thing is, she NEVER gets out of her big girl bed. Even when she wakes up in the morning, she just sits in bed and calls until we come to get her :)

editorgirl said...

Have you already dropped the bottom of it?

And I don't know if this would work, but IKEA has a bed tent for $20. We could check it out (and the rest of IKEA) when I'm home this week.

Lekili said...

Try laying down with her on the twin bed in her room--read or sing to her until she falls asleep. Or let her listen to books on tape or quiet music. See how she handles staying in the twin bed...I think I'd still buy an inexpensive railing that hooks on by sliding it between the box spring and the mattress.

I'm sorry...we'd be happy to contribute to the crib tent if you think thats the best solution.

Megan said...

This is about when my sister started putting her kids in big kid beds. Especially if you can put her in something she's afraid to get out of, she'll stay in. Try raising her bed up on something so it's too high for her.

The Gibbs said...

oh, i so know where you are at. the day jack crawled out we were up till midnight and i bawled and bawled because i thought bedtime would never happen again. the weird thing - the coolness of climbing out wore off and he hasn't done it since. give it a day or two. i'll talk to you tomorrow at mother's group and give you some ideas i've heard.

The Gibbs said...

oh, i so know where you are at. the day jack crawled out we were up till midnight and i bawled and bawled because i thought bedtime would never happen again. the weird thing - the coolness of climbing out wore off and he hasn't done it since. give it a day or two. i'll talk to you tomorrow at mother's group and give you some ideas i've heard.