Saturday, November 22, 2008

I'm grateful for...

Random acts of kindness.
I should have taken pictures. I really should have. We had THIRTEEN huge stuffed bags of leaves on our front lawn today. It took us 3 1/2 hours to get them all gathered up and into bags. We've been gone for the last several weekends and Jesse's life has been too crazy to help me, but today we decided that they had to be done. When we had almost finished, we were staring at the overflowing black marshmallows of leaves when a guy who was cleaning up the leaves at his father's house next door came over. Well, rather he backed up his truck and said, "Hey, why don't you just throw those bags in! We're on our way to the compost site. Just throw them in and I'll take them." I was shocked. Fortunately, and yet unfortuately, this is the one of the first acts of kindness we've received from anyone in the neighborhood (we're STUDENTS, therefore we're shunned). After we threw the bags in, I ran in to check on Abby and came back out to find the guy cleaning up the rest of the leaves/rosebush clippings on the side of my house. I asked what we could do to pay him back and he just waved his hand and with a big smile said, "Nothing." I'm so grateful that he was willing to help us. He probably has no idea how much it helped us. Thank you to that man. And thank you to anyone who has the bravery to help a stranger!

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

What a nice man! You deserve the random act of kindness; you are so sweet. I was so grateful that you brought me your book and those DELICIOUS rolls last week when I wasn't feeling well. You were an angel!

Speaking of the book, I finished it on Monday and I can hardly wait to read the next one. I should have thought ahead and brought it with me! I LOVE it.