Thursday, October 2, 2008

Tragic endings

Sometimes there is absolutely nothing better than curling up on an old comfy chair surrounded by smothering blankets in your rattiest pajama pants watching an ultra-emotional chick flick. Generally the scenario would also need to include a bowl of ice cream, muesli, and/or cereal. I thrive off these wonderful nights. However, the last three movies have been absolutely fabulous and yet incredibly disappointing at the same time. In my opinion, the guy and the girl should ALWAYS end up together. It is always completely predictable, but the exciting part is watching the journey to that point. You know there's always going to be anger, heartache, betrayal, the old boyfriend, or what have you--you know there will be--but it's still so addicting to watch! But like I said, the last three movies have been incredibly fabulous and disappointing at the same time. I still think Laurie is a scoundrel for preying upon Amy when he was clearly in love with Jo. And Jo should have been with him! Who was this German man? I had zero emotional attachment to him. He wasn't good enough for Jo. And nobody told Princess Ann that she couldn't be with Mr. Bradley. I think she should have come back at the last moment as Mr. Bradley was walking away and they would have walked hand-in-hand back to wherever she was going. And it's utterly tragic that Jane didn't stay with Tom. Don't you think they could have worked something out? I know that story is supposed to be based on true events, but it's heartbreaking that the best romance novelist did not have a romance herself. Truly, my favorite chick flicks are those based on her novels (yes, I've read the books too). So there you have it. The beginning of my list of fabulous chick flicks that didn't end the way they should have.

1. Little Women
2. Roman Holiday
3. Becoming Jane

I welcome all to add to my list. Please do. It will give me more movies to watch. Or you could give me movies that work out wonderfully. Either way works.

3 comments:

Lisa D said...

Add Nights in Rodanthe to the list......I too think the endings should always be happy. We see movies to get away from real life right??!!

paula said...

Lauren,
I absolutely love your writing; I feel like I'm right there with you. And your pictures are fabulous; did you know that Kaitlin and Abby have the same coat? (Old Navy, right?) What an adorable family you guys are! OK,
I'm supposed to be studying my gospel doctrine lesson, so I better get back (waiting for a patient to come out of surgery). Love you, sweetie!
Paula

Adam B said...

I may be a boy, but I still enjoy a good chick flick now and then (it makes my wife happy). :) I like Little Manhattan a lot, if you haven't seen that one. It's conventional but not at the same time.