I know I promised a post about the whales---and it's coming. Eventually. But for now.... we have a little more pressing story. It's grim. If you have a weak stomach, skip to the end.
Yesterday at 4:30 p.m. Abigail fell out of the window of our three-story apartment building.
Don't ask me to recount details. I had to do it a million times in the ER and the ICU and if I have to do it one more time, I may check into a psych facility. I saw it happen. But I was too slow. And the nightmare has haunted me since.
We are currently in Pediatric ICU of the Harbor View Medical Center in Seattle, WA. Abigail sustained a skull fracture in the parietal region and a contusion of her spleen. Miraculously, that was all. Can you believe it? She fell 30 feet and that was it. Okay, you have permission to throw up.
This morning the neurology surgical team confirmed that her skull fracture was not threatening and they would no longer need to follow that. So we're still here for the spleen. I don't even know what the spleen does. Anyway, they're monitoring internal bleeding. She's dropped in her hematocrit count and she has to be stabilized before she can be released. So we're praying to be home tomorrow night.
Abigail is in pain and is incredibly sore, but if you know Abigail, you know that she's still trying to smile and still being a goofball. We laughed through Bambi tonight at the silly old owl and Thumper's nose as he says "bird." And with wide eyes and a goofy grin she announced to me every time she got a blueberry in her blueberry yogurt. Except the last one. It was only part of a blueberry. She still says, "Oh, Claire, you're so beautiful" every time she sees her baby sister.
But unfortunately she gets scared of remembering what happened too.
So pray. Pray for Abigail that she can heal--not only physically, but mentally and emotionally. This experience is going to haunt her for a long time.
And if you can spare some, please pray for me. I don't know if I can ever wipe the images from my mind. I now understand the definition of traumatic and I think the Atonement is going to play a huge role in my recovery...
Just pray for us.
We love you and we're incredibly grateful for your prayers. Seriously, there's no way we could have survived this alone without them.
15 comments:
Lauren! Oh no! I'm so glad that she is recovering well and quickly. You will definitely be in our prayers. I'm amazed that something like this hasn't happened to Lily yet. The girl has no boundaries.
Oh my gosh Lauren, I am so sorry. How terrifying for both of you. I will definitely keep you both in my prayers. Love you.
So glad to hear Abby is doing so well!! It's just a miracle that is all that happened to her. I couldn't imagine watching that happening to my child and feeling so helpless.
Lauren, that sounds absolutely terrifying! I am SO glad that she is ok. I hope she makes a swift recovery and that she may be home soon. Thinking of you, and certainly praying for all of you.
I cannot imagine what you're going thru and my heart drops trying . We are thinking about you and praying for you. We love you!
So sorry! I am so glad that she wasn't hurt worse. She is a beautiful strong little girl. I hope she makes a speedy recovery in all senses. Our family is praying for you and yours in all senses!
I think Meghan said it well. I can't imagine how you must be feeling. I am so glad Abby is okay and that she is staying so positive. I love you guys. You are in my thoughts and prayers. If you need to talk, you know I'm just a phone call away.
I love you, sister! Tell Abby I love her too. Every little thing's gonna be all right. :)
Brittany sent me your blog, and I'm so glad she did. Happy to hear that she is doing better, and her injuries weren't worse. Let me know if we can help. We can bring dinner, watch Claire, whatever you need. Back and forth trips to the hospital are no fun. We had to do it for 17 days, so I feel for ya there.
We are sending prayers your way.
Lauren! I'm so sorry. My stomach seriously flipped upside down when I heard. That is absolutely petrifying! I wish I could just jump on a plane and come give you a hug. Please please let me know if there is anything that we can do. We're praying for you always. We hope Abby heals quickly, give her a hug from us. Lots of love.
Lauren, we're praying for you guys!! Give Abby extra love from us, too (throw an extra hug from me to you in there, too).
Abby will always know that she has an amazing spirit and mission on this earth because angels were sent and miracles happened in preserving her health and life.
I love you and I don't think I have ever prayed this hard in my life. Except maybe when you were born...getting you here was pretty miraculous in itself.
you and abby have not left my thoughts since that day, and we've been praying endlessly ever since. it was so heartbreaking to see her in that pain.. and i now have a very strong memory of love and family from watching you guys that i wont soon forget.
we put you guys on the temple prayroll. call us if you need anything. oh.. and we can't wait for her 'homecoming' party. (:
Oh Lauren, I just heard the news. Oh so scary! We will keep you in our prayers! We are happy to hear that the injuries weren't more serious. Patience, the healing will come.
Post a Comment