Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"I'm sorry I cried at you, mom" and other Abby stories

I once ran into a woman in a church bathroom who told me that her favorite stage for children was 18 months to 3 years old. Abby was getting close to 18 months and I remember thinking, "She's psycho. This age is ridiculous!" But now I'm starting to agree with her. Or at least from 2-3 might be my favorite.

Last night Abby was having a hard time sleeping so she asked me to sing her a song. When she asks me to sing, she will always ask that I sing "I am a child of God." When she asks Jesse to sing, it will always be "We're So Far Away" by Mae. Abby knows it as "Remembering." He has sung that to her since she was days old.
I LOVE that Abby can sing all three (I don't typically sing the fourth... I guess I'm lazy), but she can sing all three verses of "I'm a Child of God" with me plus the chorus. And then she will always ask me to sing "Book of Mormon Stories" after and she knows the first two verses of that one. I love hearing her little voice sing with me and if I mess up, she corrects me.

Abby is starting to figure out apologizing and such. The other day I was just exhausted and I broke down crying. I was trying to hide in the bathroom so Jesse and Abby didn't see me, but they both came wandering in when a louder than intended sob broke through. Jesse, of course, put his arms around me and Abby quickly joined in. She patted my back and said, "I'm sorry I got mad at you, mom." I started laughing. Who could stay sad with such a sweet two-year-old?

Today when I told Abby it was time for a nap, she just fell apart on the floor sobbing and wailing. She was so stinkin' tired and desperately needed a nap, but she wanted to fight it. I put on my no emotions mask and carried her into her bedroom while she threw her little body around in my arms attempting to escape. She continued to cry as I read stories and then put her blankets on her. As soon as I turned off the lights, she stopped. I walked over to kiss her good-night and she said, "I'm sorry I cried at you, mom". I replied, "I forgive you." And she sleepily responded, "I forgive you, too." This age just cracks me up.

And here is a picture I took of Abby this morning to showcase her awesome beanie and shoes--though I realized you can't see the shoes. And then when I went to get the picture from the camera just now, I was surprised to find some funny pictures of dad and Abby. They must have done them while I was in the shower. Aren't dads the best? I love my husband. Who else can be so goofy? Abby and her dad are best buds. They rough house like there's no tomorrow. Love it. Love them. Love y'all.




4 comments:

Megan said...

She's so stinkin cute! I love that last picture with Jesse.

Carolyn said...

What cute stories. I love this age, too. They say the funniest and sweetest things.

How's your pregnancy? How are you feeling? I miss you!

Meg said...

So stinkin' cute. Kaitlin cracks us up numerous times a day with the things she comes up with. It blows me away how much she understands or "thinks" she understands :) Post a pic of your belly! I wanna see! Love the pictures of Abby & Jesse. Dad's are definitely great to be goofy with!

Lekili said...

Who would have thought that anyone could be as good at making funny faces as you Laur? It must be genetic!

Love the stories and pics. Please post Abby in her valentine outfit too.