Longest day of my life.
Let me recount the day for you:
5:00 a.m. Jesse and I wake up to finish packing food and such for the day.
5:45 a.m. Wake up SUPER cranky girls and try to get them into the car.
6:00 a.m. Leave for Anacortes, WA for the Washington State Ferry.
9:00 a.m. Take the ferry across to Friday Harbor. It was CRAZY foggy so we couldn't barely even see the water. I was so nervous that we wouldn't even be able to see the whales.
10:00 a.m. Pull into Friday Harbor and run to the whale watching co.'s office and book it for the boat.
10:30 a.m. Pull out into the foggy Puget Sound to look for whales....
Boo. Abby was crying because she was terrified of the boat. She thought when we put the life vest on her it meant she had to get in the water. She would not let go of us. She was absolutely petrified--literally. Would not move. Fortunately, this boat had an inner cabin where she didn't have to wear the life vest and it had a booth/table set-up with crayons and whale coloring books. Abby stayed there the rest of the time. Claire was also crying because it was nap time. I actually did get her to fall asleep, but I had to take her to the inner cabin too to take off her life vest so she'd sleep. The inner cabin had windows, but it's just not the same... you know?
We got word that the whales were in Canada. Good thing we didn't stay at Lime Kiln Lighthouse or we never would have seen them.
We drove 40 mins. in the water to Canada and found about 30 orca whales. We got to follow along with them for about an hour. We saw two breach, several tail slap, and a few did cartwheels. I can't describe it, but that's what the behavior is called. I was crazy stoked to see them and especially to see two breach. But I still can't decide if it was worth the travel time and the hysterical tantrums my children threw. And unfortunately, because it was such awful lighting (due to spectacular fog) and because I'm a total amateur, I couldn't get any good pictures of the whales. Seriously.
2:00 p.m. Finished the boat tour.
We were originally going to stay on the island, shop, and get dinner, but it was raining. We decided to get the next ferry at 3:45 and just head home. While we were waiting, we bought ice cream and chilled at the ferry landing dock. The kids had a great time playing on it, and Jesse got some awesome camera time in. I was just trying not to pass out because I was so exhausted.
All of these pictures are of the kids.
Next time we're going to make a weekend of it. And next time, my whale watching boat will be without my kids.
We were EXHAUSTED when we got home. On Sunday, I slept 1-4:30 p.m., and then went back to bed at 6 and slept until 6:30 the next morning. Yeah, I was tired.
5:00 a.m. Jesse and I wake up to finish packing food and such for the day.
5:45 a.m. Wake up SUPER cranky girls and try to get them into the car.
6:00 a.m. Leave for Anacortes, WA for the Washington State Ferry.
9:00 a.m. Take the ferry across to Friday Harbor. It was CRAZY foggy so we couldn't barely even see the water. I was so nervous that we wouldn't even be able to see the whales.
10:00 a.m. Pull into Friday Harbor and run to the whale watching co.'s office and book it for the boat.
10:30 a.m. Pull out into the foggy Puget Sound to look for whales....
And there were NO current report of whales.
Boo. Abby was crying because she was terrified of the boat. She thought when we put the life vest on her it meant she had to get in the water. She would not let go of us. She was absolutely petrified--literally. Would not move. Fortunately, this boat had an inner cabin where she didn't have to wear the life vest and it had a booth/table set-up with crayons and whale coloring books. Abby stayed there the rest of the time. Claire was also crying because it was nap time. I actually did get her to fall asleep, but I had to take her to the inner cabin too to take off her life vest so she'd sleep. The inner cabin had windows, but it's just not the same... you know?
We got word that the whales were in Canada. Good thing we didn't stay at Lime Kiln Lighthouse or we never would have seen them.
We drove 40 mins. in the water to Canada and found about 30 orca whales. We got to follow along with them for about an hour. We saw two breach, several tail slap, and a few did cartwheels. I can't describe it, but that's what the behavior is called. I was crazy stoked to see them and especially to see two breach. But I still can't decide if it was worth the travel time and the hysterical tantrums my children threw. And unfortunately, because it was such awful lighting (due to spectacular fog) and because I'm a total amateur, I couldn't get any good pictures of the whales. Seriously.
2:00 p.m. Finished the boat tour.
We were originally going to stay on the island, shop, and get dinner, but it was raining. We decided to get the next ferry at 3:45 and just head home. While we were waiting, we bought ice cream and chilled at the ferry landing dock. The kids had a great time playing on it, and Jesse got some awesome camera time in. I was just trying not to pass out because I was so exhausted.
All of these pictures are of the kids.
Next time we're going to make a weekend of it. And next time, my whale watching boat will be without my kids.
We were EXHAUSTED when we got home. On Sunday, I slept 1-4:30 p.m., and then went back to bed at 6 and slept until 6:30 the next morning. Yeah, I was tired.
Abby and J
Thank you, Grandma Jenkins for the girls' red rain jackets! They were so needed on that cold, rainy day in July. Seriously, who still is freezing in July? Oh, we are.
5 comments:
Yay! You blogged! Yay cute pictures of Abby and Claire!
I'm sorry the girls were tired. Next time I'll come and take the girls while you and Jesse get on the boat. Deal?
How cool! Even if it is totally exhausting. That would be so neat!
In ten years you will only remember the whales and the good things of the day . . .
Love love love the pictures. Your girls could not get any cuter. What a fabulous adventure...even the fog creates a pretty cool effect. So glad you got to go!
You're supposed to tell me when you've blogged, silly! I've missed like a gazillion posts! Not cool! any who... I see you've been playing with your new lens... well keep doing it or I'll have to smack your behind when you get here.
LOVE YOU!
Post a Comment